Sunday, March 12, 2006

Will This Help Me Play the Market?

Back in the days of Preposterous Universe, Sean Carroll (now of Cosmic Variance) found the true killer-ap for ipod: divination. Just throw that puppy on shuffle, and let the little white oracle do it's thang. I never got to play the game with PU, but Sean has kept the tradition going over at CV, so I thought I would finally hop on the bandwagon. At first, I admit I had doubts about the power of the ipod to see the future. But then I reminded myself that I'm the person who has a pencil drawing on my wall made by my great grandmother's psychic surgeon (I'm completely serious - it's quite a sight). Anyways, here's Sean's latest glimpse into the future. And here's the tarot code. My humble entry is as follows:
  1. The Covering: Galaxy 500, When Will You Come Home?
  2. The Crossing: Cansecos, A Common State of Being
  3. The Crown: Quasimoto, Another Demo Tape
  4. The Root: The Smiths, This Charming Man
  5. The Past: Kings of Convenience, The Girl From Back Then
  6. The Future: Beatles, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
  7. The Questioner: John Coltrane, You Say You Care
  8. The House: Jimmy McGriff, Funky Junk
  9. The Inside: Nina Simone, I Wish I Knew How It Feels
  10. The Outcome: The Arcade Fire, Neighborhood #4
I have to say, I was really nervous about what was going to come up. My ipod has a lot of the little one's tunes on there (and a number of very, very guilty pleasures), so I lucked out here. What if Hillary Duff had come up as The Past? Or High School: The Musical as The House?! We'd all be up the river for sure. As it stands, The Future is looking repressed. Someone should tell Apple about this game. Maybe these little devices will finally catch on.