Thursday, October 13, 2005

All work and no play makes Josh a dull boy

Look closely - it's just like that picture at the end of the Shining.

I'm back from a much needed week away from work and the big city. I got to do some sailing (pictured), carved some pumpkins (just warming up for the big day), and I even baked an apple pie. But hey, it's great to be back in a dark, windowless office. I've got a lot of carpal tunnel to catch up on!

Whole Paycheck
Needing apples for my pie, I figured the local orchards would be a good place to stop. Now a roadside fruit stand is supposed to be where you find the bargains, right? And yes, I found bushels upon bushels of inexpensive apples. But one variety stood out - the Honeycrisp. The Honeycrisp was developed in the 1960's by the University of Minnesota, and has become like crack to local apple buyers in Michigan. But the downside is that this little gem of an apple runs $5 for a basket of about 8 apples. It was like being back in the Whole Foods on North Ave. Of course, what does a city boy do? Curiosity gets the best of him and he buys the damn apples. But I must admit... diagnosis: delicious.

The revolution will be televised on very very small screens
Speaking of apples.... Apple's got to stop with all this picture/video ipod b.s. Steve Jobs, here's the deal... I want to listen to music with your little device - end of story. I don't want to want to watch my Gilmore Girls on your 2 inch screen. I am the proud owner of a 27 inch television that sits in my living room, and I plan to use that to watch videos, movies, and the adventures of Rory and Lauralie.