Thursday, August 25, 2005

Dog Days

First of all, it cost me $39.22 to fill up the car. I just needed to say that out loud.

Well, the summer news doldrums continue. Yesterday on NPR's All Things Considered, the top story coming out the news was Google. Google has rolled out their new instant messaging software - and somehow this became the lead story of the day. I understand that it's August, but you've got the base-closings commission, you've got 007 Pat Robertson planning American foreign policy, even an emerging Lance Armstrong doping scandal that could work as the headliner. Maybe it's me, but it seemed like an odd choice - the technology is not anything new.

Anyway.. as for Google, the NYT at least attempted to take an angle on the story: Google is really rich and thinks its so cool, but now the other kids in silicon vally won't let Google come over to play dungeons & dragons.

I guess there's just not a lot going on.