Thursday, June 09, 2005

My Life, The Story. Chapter 1


This is the first in a series of excerpts from my autobiography, written at the age of 12. The original spelling, punctuation, and grammar is reflected in the text.

I was born on February 19th at the Evanston Hospital. When I was little I was very serious and had a dry sense of humor.
My favorite toy was a small stuffed animal named Floppy. He was a brown dog with white ear. He was missing an eye. I used to sleep with Floppy every night. I finally out grew Floppy and then came Joe. Joe was a big gorilla. He protected me from monsters at night.
When I was young one of the things I liked to do was watch cars go by. I would sit in my frontyard and watch for cars I would like to own when I grew up.

Wow! I think it's fair to say I was a prodigy. I always wondered why Papa used to call me "little Johnny Steinbeck". I really captured the changes we all go through when we move from a small town to the big city. We outgrow our innocence and treat our first love like a toy, only to dump them as soon as we realize everyone is laughing because they're wearing an eye patch. The next thing you know you're sleeping with a big gorilla named Joe and dreaming about that new 'Benz.